fbpx

Red Bull wants engine freeze: ‘Logical that it doesn’t make sense for Ferrari’

As of 2022, Honda will no longer be officially active in Formula 1. That brings Red Bull into trouble. They may have to buy a power source from one of the other manufacturers or they may continue with the Honda engine under a different name. For the latter, however, there must first be a freeze on engine development.
“The sticky point has always been that Red Bull can’t commit to a full development program of that engine from 2022 and beyond”, Marc Priestley says in his F1 Update.

Read original

The man who brought Mercedes back to motor racing has passed away

Jurgen Hubbert, the former boss at Mercedes, died this week at the age of 81. Hubbert worked for the Stuttgart-based marque from the 1960s and had a prominent role in the company’s management from the late 1980s. Under his leadership, Mercedes returned to the world of motorsport.
After the tragic accident at Le Mans in 1955, in which Mercedes driver Pierre Levegh and 82 spectators died, Mercedes turned its back on motor racing for more than 30 years. It was Hubbert who took the courageous decision to return in 1987.

Read original

‘Very close to deal allowing Red Bull Honda relationship to continue’

As of 2022, Honda will no longer be officially active in Formula 1. That brings Red Bull into trouble. They may have to buy a power source from one of the other manufacturers or they may continue with the Honda engine under a different name. For the latter, however, there must first be a freeze on engine development.
“The sticky point has always been that Red Bull can’t commit to a full development program of that engine from 2022 and beyond”, Marc Priestley says in his F1 Update.

Read original

F1’s Virtual Grand Prix series to return for charity

By Chris Medland | January 15, 2021 4:09 AM

Formula 1 will run another Virtual Grand Prix series starting at the end of January featuring current and former drivers, this time to raise money for charity.
During the lockdown that hit Europe in March of last year, racing was halted and a number of drivers turned their attentions to Esports, with F1’s official Virtual Grand Prix events featuring half of the grid at various stages.

Read original

Autosport Podcast: What is Albon’s path back to F1?

Alexander Albon will dovetail Red Bull Formula 1 reserve and test duties with select events in the DTM racing a Ferrari 488 GT3 after losing his spot to Sergio Perez.
With Albon replaced by Perez in Red Bull’s 2021 line-up, the Anglo-Thai driver faces an unexpected year ahead as he remains in the F1 team’s fold as reserve driver, plus helping with its 2022 preparations, while also competing in select races in the DTM.
It will mark Albon’s debut in the German series and duly provide him with a range of new examinations as he targets a way back to the F1 grid.

Read original

Sainz drives first metres in Ferrari simulator: "I can finally get to work"

As Carlos Sainz prepares for his first Grand Prix at Ferrari, there are still many preparations to be made. For example, today he stepped into the Ferrari simulator for the first time and made his first digital metres for the team.
Sainz drives first digital metres for Ferrari
In a video on Ferrari’s Twitter channel, Sainz talks about his day. “Finally I can get to work with the people here. It’s getting hard to remember all those names and faces,” he jokes.

Read original

Current and former Formula One drivers set to compete in Virtual Grand Prix

During the 2020 lockdown, virtual races were a big hit, as the real races could not go ahead and a number of drivers could still be seen in action this way. Formula 1‘s Virtual Grand Prix series returns at the end of this month, this time for a good cause.
Virtual races popular during lockdown
In the official virtual races of Formula 1, sometimes up to half of the grid was in action, including Lando Norris, Charles Leclerc, Pierre Gasly and Carlos Sainz.

Read original

Hamilton asks for too much money? "How on earth do they know that?"

As the official start of the new F1 season slowly approaches, one big question mark still hangs over the driver market. Will Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes reach an agreement for 2021? Former F1 mechanic Marc Priestley thinks so, although he finds the situation interesting.
“I don’t think it’s a panic situation yet with Mercedes or Lewis Hamilton,” Priestley said in his latest vlog on Youtube. “I still expect him to be in the car at the first race. But there are definitely some sticking points.

Read original

First Rally Officials Webinar a major success as 500 delegates follow online

The annual FIA Rally Officials Seminar switched to a virtual format in response to the COVID-19 pandemic today with a record number of about 500 officials and delegates from 80 countries following online.

Made up of stewards, Clerks of the Course and event organisers, the delegates were invited to follow three sessions on regulation changes, rally safety updates and the role and duties of the clerk of the course and stewards on events.

Read original

STRAW: Leclerc’s work at Ferrari is just beginning

By Edd Straw | January 15, 2021 9:25 AM

Last season felt like a wasted one for Charles Leclerc, a young driver in a hurry to conquer Formula 1 after a superb rookie season in the midfield with Sauber in 2018, then breaking through as a race winner on his promotion to Ferrari the following year. Instead, he had to scratch around for results, requiring a slice of good fortune to claim a couple of podium finishes and usually having to be satisfied with lower-profile points finishes even on a good day.

Read original

Ricciardo not ruling out future Le Mans or Indy 500 bids

© XPB 

Phillip van Osten 15/01/2021 at 17:1115/01/2021 at 15:49

Daniel Ricciardo says he could be tempted to take a shot at Le Mans and the Indy 500 in the future, although he admits feeling apprehensive about the latter.
As a past winner of the Monaco GP, one of three jewels in motorsport’s coveted Triple Crown, Ricciardo could gun for glory by adding Indy and Le Mans – the other two gems – to his impressive credentials.

Read original

Jurgen Hubbert obituary: Former Mercedes executive dies aged 81

Former Mercedes executive Jurgen Hubbert, a key player behind the marque’s move into the DTM and Formula 1, has died at the age of 81.
It was on Hubbert’s watch that Mercedes joined forces with McLaren, creating a partnership that would win two World Championships with Mika Hakkinen in 1998 and 1999, and a third with Lewis Hamilton in 2008.
“Deeply saddened to hear the news of our friend and family member Jurgen,” Hamilton noted in an Instagram post.
“He was such a racer at heart and I enjoyed our chats and his enthusiasm [for] racing.

Read original

McLaren can ‘run very hard’ at projects thanks to latest investment

By Chris Medland | January 15, 2021 7:56 AM

McLaren can push ahead at greater speed with new development projects thanks to its latest investment from MSP Sports Capital, according to McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown.
During the Abu Dhabi race weekend last month it was announced that US-based MSP would be purchasing an initial 15% — rising to 33% by 2022 — stake that will give McLaren an injection of £185million ($245m) over the next two years.

Read original

Magnussen ‘haunted’ by 2017 ‘suck my balls’ clash with Hulkenberg

© XPB 

Phillip van Osten 15/01/2021 at 15:2015/01/2021 at 13:54

Kevin Magnussen says his infamous words to Nico Hulkenberg after the Hungarian GP in 2017 remain to this day a haunting stigma that has come to define his career in F1.
The memorable scene took place in the media pen at the Hungaroring immediately after a race in which Magnussen and Hulkenberg had spared for many laps.

Read original

Loading